Today is my birthday--a special day but I am thankful for every day for three reasons: I am thankful for my doctoral studies, for spending time with my kids, and for my wife's work at our church. I have given updates below on all three plus my updated social networking information.
1. I am thoroughy enjoying the Th.D. (Doctor of Theology) program at Duke Divinity School.
I have the opportunity to read great books on the church, mission and New Testament and converse with great colleagues and professors. I finished my first year's coursework in which I did a lot of work in New Testament with Richard Hays, as well as significant reflection on the practices of the church in the writings of Rowan Williams and John Howard Yoder. Now I have another year of coursework including German and Spanish language exams to do. Next year (year 3) I will be doing preliminary / comprehensive exams in my two concentrations (The Practice of Leading Christian Communities and Institutions and New Testament) and working through my dissertation proposal. Then the fourth year I will be writing the dissertation.
This fall I am taking three courses:
CHURMIN 399:THEOLOGY OF PASTORAL MINISTRY with Ken Carder. Carder is a retired bishop of the United Methodist Church. I am also serving as a preceptor for his course CHURMIN 110: Introduction to Christian Ministry. I have posted the books for that course in the right column. Carder has also done quite a bit of writing for the Lilly Endowment Inc. Sustaining Pastoral Excellence program at Duke Divinity School. In this course, I will begin by reading Gregory the Great's Pastoral Care and Richard John Neuhaus's Freedom for Ministry.
NEWTEST 399: MISSION & CHURCH IN PAUL with Douglas Campbell. Campbell is a New Testament professor with significant interests in theology and ecclesiology.
AMXTIAN 294: SOCIAL ORGANIZATION OF AMERICAN RELIGION with Mark Chaves. Chaves oversees the National Congregations Study, the most comprehensive survey of American congregations. Chaves wrote a book on the 1998 data called Congregations in America (Harvard University Press, 2004). The data for the 2006 study is beginning to be published. Chaves has a joint appointment in the Department of Sociology at Duke as well as Duke Divinity School.
2. I am enjoying spending time with our two boys.
Ryan is three and Jacob will turn one on September 16. I get to watch the boys Tuesdays, Thursdays, and parts of Saturdays and Sundays while Amy works (see below). I have a separate blog where I am jotting down the funny things they say and do and basic developmental milestones. Rowell Kids: Chronicling the lives of our kids. The boys are a delight. I am trying to instill three things in the boys: Bible, books, and balls! I am also often conscious that our kids will learn most from the kind of people we are. In college, I want my kids to be able to say about me: my dad loves people. What a challenge!
3. I am thankful that my wife Amy is serving at Blacknall Memorial Presbyterian Church.
She is the Director of the Children's Ministry--Elementary age. I have blogged about the church before at this post. Amy continues to care for volunteers, to find where people are gifted, and to discern direction for the ministry. I am thankful that she can do work she feels fulfilled doing and that we can survive financially with her 20 hrs per week salary and my stipend (which I am deeply grateful for) from the Foundation for Evangelism.
Other news about Blacknall:
- I am teaching an 8-week course this fall on Wednesday evenings on Philippians with Duke New Testament Ph.D. student Tim Wardle. It is part of "Table Talk" where dinner will be served beforehand. For the five courses, there are currently about 225 people signed up.
- As far as I know, Blacknall continues to search for a Youth Pastor--we would love to have a friend join us. See my post: Director of Youth Ministries position at Blacknall Presbyterian Church in Durham, NC.
Other social networking (Twitter, Facebook and Blogs I'm Following):
or "follow me".
I have also been changing my status a bit at Facebook account:
I basically keep my Facebook friends to people I know.
Below are the 160 blogs I follow on Google Reader.
My "Blogs Andy Rowell is following" Blogroll
- Adam Hamilton - Seeing Gray
- Addenda & Errata
- Alan Hirsch - The Forgotten Ways; from Australia,...
- Alan Nelson, Stan Toler, et al. - Rev! Unplugged
- Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals - Reformation21...
- Andrew Jones - TallSkinnyKiwi
- Andrew T. Le Peau - Andy Unedited; of InterVarsity...
- Andrew Thompson - Gen-X Rising, Th.D. student at Duke
- Andrew Ulasich - digging for mummies
- Andy Crouch - Culture Making
- Andy Rowell | Church Leadership Conversations
- B.J. Woodworth - what's your wood worth?; PCUSA pastor...
- Baker Publishers - the church and postmodern culture:...
- Ben Myers - Faith and Theology
- Ben Witherington - Professor of New Testament at Asbury...
- Benji Kelley - pastor of NewHope Church in Durham,...
- Bill Easums Observations
- Blacknall Memorial Presbyterian Church
- Bob Roberts, Jr. - glocalnet; pastor of NorthWood...
- Brad Lomenick - Catalyst Conference
- Brenda McDonell (My Mom) - Bee's Nest
- Brian Bailey - Leave It Behind & Blogging Church
- Brian McLaren - author
- Brian Russell - realmealministries.org, Asbury Seminary...
- Brian Walsh - Empire Remixed
- BuildingChurchLeaders.com - Off the Agenda
- Byron Borger - Hearts & Minds Books
- C. Wes Daniels - gathering in light; Fuller Ph.D....
- Carlos Whittaker - Ragamuffin Soul
- CatalystSpace - Catalyst Conference Blog
- Chip & Dan Heath - Made to Stick; business authors
- Chris Scharen - faithasawayoflife; Director of the...
- Chris Smith - The Englewood Review of Books
- Chris Tilling - Chrisendom - Tubingen
- Christian Century - Theolog
- Christianity Today at the Movies: Reviews
- Christianity Today Liveblog
- Christianity Today Magazine
- Christianity Today Politics
- Craig Groeschel and Bobby Gruenewald - LifeChurch.tv:...
- Dan Buck - Unexposed Granite
- Dan Kimball - Vintage Faith
- Daniel Kirk - Sibboleth
- Darrell Bock, Mike Wilkins, Dan Wallace, Scot McKnight...
- Dave Ferguson - Velocity
- David Brooks - NYT Columns
- David Fitch - the great giveaway
- David Landt - The Way of Jesus
- David Neff - Ancient Evangelical Future; Editor at...
- David S. Broder -- Washington Post Politics Writer
- David Swanson - signs of life
- Dieter Zander Update
- DJ Chuang - djchuang.com
- Doug Pagitt - DougPagitt.com
- Duke Divinity and Religious Life
- Duke in the News Feed
- Duke News Tips
- Duke Opinion
- Duke Socratic Club Blog
- Duke University Religion Department
- Ed Young resources - CreativePastors
- Ekklesia Project
- Emergent Village
- Eric Swanson - Externally Focused Church
- First Things: On the Square
- Frank Viola - Reimagining Church
- Gary Friesen - Becoming a Millennial: 53-yr-old takes...
- Gary Thomas - A Certain Slant of Light
- Gary Thomas - garThoma
- George F. Will -- Washington Post Opinion Writer
- GetReligion - Commentary on how the press covers religion...
- Gifted for Leadership - A Community of Christian Women
- Gmail Blog
- Greg Boyd - Random Reflections
- Greg Surratt
- Halden Doerge - Inhabitatio Dei
- Harvard Business School Working Knowledge
- Holly Rankin Zaher - happydaydeadfish
- InterVarsity Press Editors - Behind the Books
- J.D. Greear - JDGreear.com - pastor of The Summit...
- J.R. Briggs - brokenstainedglass
- James K. A. Smith, Baker: the church and postmodern...
- James Mills - Ecclesial Dreamer...
- James R. Garringer Photography
- Jason Clark - Emergent-UK
- Jason Powell - Church IT and Other Musings
- Jeffrey Overstreet - Looking Closer
- Jim and Amy Spiegel - Wisdom and Folly
- Jim Plueddemann - The Missionary Iconoclast
- Jim Wallis and Friends - God's Politics
- John Mark Rutter - Theological Ruminator
- John Milbank - Nottingham Centre of Theology and Philosophy
- John Stackhouse - Professor of Theology at Regent...
- Jonathan Bow - pastor of Crosspointe Church in Cary,...
- Jonny Baker - jonnybaker
- Justin Taylor - Between Two Worlds
- Ken Castor - jesusfollower
- Kent Shaffer - churchrelevance.com
- Kevin D. Hendricks, et al. - Church Marketing Sucks
- Kirk Bartha - from theocity to lovelocity
- Koinonia - Zondervan Academic
- Kyle David Bennett - Fuller Ph.D. student
- Kyle King
- Leadership journal and resources for church leaders
- Leadership Network Book Blog
- Learnings @ Leadership Network
- LeRon Shults
- LeRon Shults, James K.A. Smith, John Franke, Klyne...
- Mark Batterson - Evotional, Thoughts on Life and Leadership
- Mark Driscoll, Ed Stetzer, Anthony Bradley, et al....
- Mark Galli - GalliBlog
- Mark Waltz | ...because People Matter
- Matt and Shannon McNeil - London McCalling
- Men's Health Home Page
- Michael Bird & Joel Willitts - Euangelion
- Michael Hyatt - Thomas Nelson Publishers CEO From...
- Michael Miller - NavPress Executive Publisher the...
- Nancy Beach
- Nelson Searcy - Renegade Pastor - Church Leader Insights...
- Nicole (My sister-in-law)- On the Run
- Nijay K Gupta - at Durham doing NT
- NT Gateway Weblog
- Out of Ur - Leadership Journal's Blog
- Perry Noble - Pastor of NewSpring Church in Anderson,...
- Pete Rollins - author of How (Not) to Speak of God
- Peter Chattaway - FilmChat
- Peter Enns - a time to tear down | A Time to Build...
- Rebekah Eklund - the continuing adventures of Becky
- Richard Mouw - Mouw's Musings - The President's Blog
- Rob Wegner - EnterMission
- Ron Martoia - velocityculture
- Rowell Kids
- Ryan Bolger - TheBolgBlog
- Sameer Yadav - Theoblogical Investigations
- Scot McKnight - Jesus Creed
- Scott Collins-Jones - TRINIBLOG: FAITH. THEOLOGY....
- Scott Jones - Kansas West UMC Bishop Blogs and Columns
- Seth Godin - Blog
- Shane Tucker - Nascent Narratives from the Edge of...
- Sharon Hodde - She Worships
- Simply Strategic Show
- Steve Gisel - Asi Es La Vida...
- Steve Knight - knightopia.com | Journal
- Steve Taylor - e~mergent kiwi
- Taylor University News
- The CBE Scroll
- The Other Journal
- Think Christian
- Tim Conder - Wonderings & Wanderings
- Tim Keel's Blog
- Tim Sanders - Sanders Says
- Tim Stevens - LeadingSmart
- Todd Rhoades - Monday Morning Insight
- Tony Jones
- Tony Jones - The Church Basement Roadshow
- Tony Morgan | one of the simply strategic guys
- Will Samson - author of Justice in the Burbs
- Will Willimon - A Peculiar Prophet
- Willow Creek Assocation Children's Ministry
- Willow Creek Association Group Life